Thursday, September 15, 2016

Back to School, Back to Reality!

It's the most wonderful tiiiiiiiime of the year! Oh yes, if you're a parent you know that I'm not talking about Christmas, I'm talking about back to school time!

Now don't get me wrong here. I love my kids and summer and the freedom to travel or sleep in, the beach, camping and all that sunshine. However, I am a creature of habits and by mid August I'm jonesing for my routines back. I missed having days to myself where I can be lazy if I want or go for coffee, grocery shop in peace, hit the gym....all those things that are far more difficult with the little people are home every day.

Standard bedtimes, getting and keeping the house in order, after school activities and all those other things that come with the school year are back and I'm thrilled! My poor house has been seriously neglected over the summer so the housework schedule is back in place and it's starting to look like civilized human beings live here. My weight loss journey is back on track now that it's easy to get to the gym when kids are in school all day. Life is back into routine and though we have had an amazing summer, it's refreshing to be back into homework and packed lunches and weekend birthday parties and sports and art classes.

This year Cole is in middle school. I was far more nervous than he was. He makes me so proud. He's embracing this new chapter full force and he's thriving on his increased independence. He loves the different types of classes that he gets to take now and especially that he has a locker. The teachers in grade 6 are fantastic at making the transition a smooth one for the kids and the parents. He was more concerned with leaving Madi behind in elementary school but nothing gets that kid down. She's thrilled with the teacher she has and the kids in her class. Grade 4 is great she says but she's not happy at the lack of homework.

Activities start up over the next couple weeks too. They are both back in catechism (Sunday school), Madi starts Girl Guides tonight and is back in her art classes in a few weeks. Cole decided he didn't want to swim this year and instead is going to be starting Tae Kwon Do next week.

Fall always feels like a fresh start. Moreso than the new year in my eyes. I don't know why, but it always seems like anything is possible in September and I'm excited to see what this "year" has in store for us!

Adventure is out there!
Love The McDonnells

No comments:

Post a Comment