Saturday, May 7, 2016

Happy Mothers Day!

Happy Mother's Day! 

Mother's Day is the time of year to celebrate the special women in your life...mothers, grandmothers, aunts, sisters, friends, "like a mom to me", fathers who have to play both roles, babysitters....the list goes on and on. 

We are fortunate to have all these special people in our lives so here's to you! 

My mom is my best friend. She's always been more of a friend than a mom to me and she's always got my back no matter what. I can laugh with her, cry with her, just hang out or fight like cats and dogs but ultimately she's my rock and the one I turn to when something good, bad or in between happens in my life, she supports my crazy ideas and shares my obsession with all things Disney. I honestly don't know what I would do without her. 

My Nana has always been like a mom to me with that special twist only a grandmother can provide. She's looked after me when I was home sick from school, she made sure I had the comforts of home when I moved into my first apartment on my own, she and my Grampy took me on many a camping trip and she's always been my biggest support. She's stubborn and sassy and the definition of strength. I think I may have inherited just a little bit of that from her. 

My aunt Linda...mom2 for this "rent a brat" was the confidant I needed when I just couldn't talk to my mom about something, the one who introduced me to a wide variety of music and the one who took me on adventures as a child and the yard stick we all measured our height against (haha!). 

Not only are we lucky enough to have these three women to love us and support us but we also have Nora Ann...Jeff's aunt who stepped in to provide a mother's presence and support after his mom passed away. She is the rock of the family, the one everyone turns to when they need a little love and support and the woman who is my stand in mother in law when I didn't have the privilege to know my own. 

All the aunts on Jeff's side have stepped in to try and fill a little bit of the loss of Jeff's mom. Carmel, Sheila, Valerie, Maureen, Debbie...you are all unique and special women we are so very lucky to have in our lives and we love and appreciate you so much. 

My special babysitter as a child did so much more for me growing up than just making sure we were clean and fed and safe...she gave me a second family and a whole lot of amazing childhood memories and experiences. Thank you Karen for loving me like I was your own. 

Cole and Madison are so fortunate to have had amazing babysitters who cared for them, comforted them and helped us raise them when we had to be at work. Stay at home moms are awesome, but so are working moms with the help of ladies like Sophie, Tara and Amy. Our kids love you all so much and we appreciate the care you provide to our kids more than you could possibly know. 

Not only are we lucky to have all these amazing ladies in our lives but we are also blessed to have guardian angels watching over us...Jeff's mom, Jeff's grandmother and my great grandmother are all up there looking down on us smiling, laughing, tsk tsking and sometimes just shaking their heads I'm sure. 

So happy Mother's Day to all of you ladies. We love you and we are so thankful to have you in our lives and our children's lives. Because of you, life is so much sweeter. Enjoy your special day! Xoxox

Adventure is out there!
-The McDonnells

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thankful for all the memories I have of times we shared through your growing up years and I'm grateful that you and I still have such a strong relationship today. You're a wonderful daughter and an amazing mom. Happy Mother's day to you as well xo

    ReplyDelete